- This event has passed.
Profitable Farm Systems with Daniel Salatin
October 22, 2016 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm| $275
For the second year, Local Cooling Farms will be hosting Daniel Salatin of Polyface Farms in Virginia. In this day-long seminar, Daniel will share the techniques of Polyface’s profitable farming systems, operations, practices, farm product economics, rotational grazing methods, marketing strategies and more. The goal of the seminar is to help Louisiana and Gulf Coast farmers and property owners build healthy farms of the future that have both pastures and profits.
Daniel Salatin is the son of famous advocate and self-proclaimed “lunatic” farmer Joel Salatin. He grew up in the family business and is fully employed by the farm. Check out Daniel’s bio here.
There will be plenty of time for Q & A with Daniel and real life/hands-on examples. Grant Estrade will also add to Daniel’s presentation with discussion of on-farm composting techniques and nutrient cycling.
**Premier 1 Supplies is generously supporting our event and we’ll be raffling off one roll of their electric net fencing to seminar attendees. Everyone else will also receive a discount code for Premier 1. We exclusively use their electric net fencing for our goats, chickens and hogs!**
Who This Workshop is For
This workshop will be most beneficial for those looking to begin pasture based farming in natural ways, profitably. Whether you’re new and on the fence at starting to farm or looking to integrate new successful approaches this workshop is for you. This also includes homesteaders who are looking to add in a farm income component. Others who will benefit from this course include:
- Anyone currently involved or thinking about getting involved in farming or other roles in the farm-to-table movement
- Market managers/employees
- Agricultural professionals
- Hunters (and property owners and land management professionals) who wish to increase populations of deer, quail, turkey, etc. through prescribed grazing
- Fans of Polyface Farms, Joel Salatin and Daniel Salatin
What Will You Leave With
We want to make sure that attendees receive the highest quality education possible. Prospective students will leave with the following:
- An understanding of the pasture livestock systems that the Polyface uses
- How Polyface raises and processes their livestock
- Polyface’s marketing strategies and how they are building their customer base
- Answered questions about Polyface’s farming operations
- An understanding of how to get access and build networks for waste streams
- Strategies that you can customize to enhance the ecosystem on your property
- A working knowledge of electric fence systems, including solar/grid tied and netting/twine
Cost & Registration
Cost is $275 per person and seating is limited to 20. Breakfast/Lunch/Snacks and beverages will be provided. Event is rain or shine (we’ve got plenty of barn space). Everyone must prepay/preregister. Click the “Buy Now,” button or call us to arrange other forms of payment. If you have any questions, call Grant @ 504-234-3564.